Saturday, March 30, 2013

Grand Cayman

Our Port day at Grand Cayman was so much fun. We decided to just get off the ship and find someone to take us to Sting Ray City. It is a huge Sand Bar out in the ocean near Grand Cayman. There are Sting Rays EVERYWHERE! They are tame because of all the visitors that go there. We had to shuffle our feet while walking through the water on the sandbar so we wouldn't step on one. 
It is much more expensive to book through the cruise line. Finding what we wanted once we got there worked well for us and I would do it that way again. We just researched what we wanted to do before hand and there were plenty of options right off the ship. It's crazy how many vendors there are trying to sale things and trying to get your business. It seems to me that the people work you pretty good. 
Grand Cayman (the sign shows what the island looks like)
A view of our Disney Magic ship from the dock 
While we were waiting for the bus to take us to our boat out to Sting Ray City I went into a candy shop. This was a piggy bank made just for me.....too bad it was $35!
When I looked into the bus I said, "I think it is full". Then the driver told me to pull down a chair from the seat next to me. I also had to hold Brinley on my lap. Pretty crazy! 
The "Captain" of our boat to Sting Ray City
I could not get over the TURQUOISE water of the Caribbean. I would LOVE to go there again instead of Hawaii for that one reason.
Hunter getting a drink for the Captain.
Savannah and Brin after swimming with the Sting Rays 
Snorkeling Man!
This is the area of Sting Ray City. They put a Sting Ray up on my back for a "massage".
This is what I didn't like about being on a cruise and visiting the ports.....too many ships and too many people being herded to the same area.
We had the bus drop us off at a nice beach after Sting Ray City


We weren't going to eat until dinner on the ship but I had a bad headache so I told Powell to go get us some hamburgers. This is what he came back with. He got 2 meals just like this one and it cost $33! The Grand Cayman is very expensive mostly because of the exchange rate.

It was really good!
They couldn't get enough of the beach. It was really Brins first time in the ocean. She was shocked at the salty taste of the ocean.

Fresh Coconut
Walking back to our Disney Magic! 
The Grand Cayman day was also Pirate Night on the ship.  
We all dressed up but our tween....she was too cool.
Handsome Pirate
Beautiful Captain Hook

Our menu was even a pirate menu
Even Powell dressed up!
After dinner we went back to our room and our room steward had arranged all of Brins "friends" on the bed.  Hunter had been winning some of them in the arcade and Brinley also brought a few from home.
A monkey for pirate night! We also got gold coins for our chocolates
We went to the big pirate party at 9pm. They had singing and dancing on the top of the ship. The kids were a little ornery because it was such a long day. Part of the show was Mickey swinging down dressed as a pirate. The fireworks were incredible at the end.
 
Powell watching the fireworks
Powell showing the camera that its 10:45 and we are going to yet another buffet!!!  They had a special late night pirate buffet!
Savannah entering the buffet
Cool ice sculpture
Nothing like a turkey leg to end the pirate festivities

3 comments:

Kelsi said...

So fun!! Those stingrays are CRAZY!!! I would be a bit nervous about that. How did Brin handle the stingrays? The water is so beautiful. Looks like you had a blast. Did you pack those pirate outfits then? Such fun pictures!!! I remember those towel animals on our cruise and those ice sculptures at all of the buffets LOL!

Jessica Harrrison said...

Brinley was great with the sting rays. We packed pirate stuff. Some of what we brought was from Rachel and Dean.

Dean and Rachel said...

LOVE looking at all your pics. LOVE the pirate outfits....Hunter looks awesome. Savannah is so beautiful. This really makes me want to go on a Cruise. Love the water!