Monday, May 14, 2012

Hawaii Trip 2012- Part 2

We started our first full day in Maui by going up North to the Nakalele Blowhole. We were able to hike around the area and look at the ocean from up above on the rocks. It is really magnificent to see what the wind and the mist from the ocean has done to the rocks. We took our snorkel gear and our picnic lunch. After we hiked around the blowhole, we went on the Kaheliki Highway. It is a one lane highway that scales the side of the mountain to the small village of Kahakloa. They claim to have the best banana bread on the planet,but we didn't love it last trip, so we bought the homemade coconut candy instead. After lunch and our coconut candy dessert we went for a quick first snorkel trip for the kids. We ended our day with the Royal Lahaina Luau.
Savannah's first 3 minutes of snorkeling she got bumped into some coral. There was a Japanese woman who was fully clothed and in a big hat that was in an inner tube stuck out in the ocean. She kept yelling and laughing and the Japanese man on the beach was just standing there waving his arms. Personally, I don't think he knew how to swim. Anyway, Powell jumped in to pull her back to shore and in all the commotion Savannah got injured. There was lots of blood because it was deep. We bought her some "new skin" and off she went!
Hiking to the blowhole
The ocean down below was super violent
Look at what the wind and water has done to the area
The Nakalele blowhole doing it's thing
You can see the road that takes you to the village

Julia's Best Banana Bread and Coconut Candy
Coconut Candy $15
Just arrived at the Royal Lahaina Luau and let me tell you....it was "Royal"


Roasting the pig....aren't Hawaiian men beautiful creatures?
Seriously some of the worst food I've ever had.....on lame cafeteria plates and trays. I booked the cheapest one (which still wasn't cheap). I heard the show was good and the food ok but it was BAD. The kids didn't know the difference so we just played a long. They only wanted the chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese anyway!
Twins except Savannah has my brown eyes
Twins!
 It was cold and rainy so I put on the poncho and my jacket.
I embarrassed the kids by having them pose with one of the dancers....haha
Really great fire dancer
The kids loved the part where they dance like Samoans

3 comments:

Martha said...

Exciting times for the kids. Looks so fun for everyone. I always love seeing how enchanting and beautiful Hawaii is. Boy, Savannah and Powell are twins except eye color.

Kelsi said...

I am still laughing about that lady being stuck out in the ocean. That cut does look bad! Ouch!

So I remember going out to that blow hole and how awful those rocks were to walk on. I had flip flops on and it hurt. Isn't it cool to see the blow hole? I loved it.

Thats to bad about that luau.... do you think that one we went to at the PCC was better? At least you got to let them experience it.

Love all of the pictures. Looks so fun. I can't believe how old Savannah and Hunter look. They are really looking alike to me.

Sarah said...

I love seeing all of your pictures! I am living vicariously :) Savannah is so gorgeous. I can't believe how she is growing up! I think I have that purple dress she is wearing, except mine is black and white...did she get it at Target? You look fabulous too, Jessica!