Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hawaii Trip 2012- Part 5

We found the BEST PLACE TO SNORKEL EVER if you are looking to see turtles. We must have seen at least 20 green sea turtles of all sizes. It wasn't the easiest place to get too. We went to Napili Beach, which is where we stayed last time we were in Maui and then followed the coastline around to Honokeana Cove. There isn't a beach so you have to climb in on the rocks which isn't easy with flippers on. Needless to say we did it! The extra effort was worth it. I actually think it was harder to get out than it was to get in.  The kids loved the snorkeling and stayed out there for about an hour. I got cold so I only stayed out about half that time. Because we had to hike around the rocks to get to the cove, we didn't bring our camera (we were carrying all of our gear). Here are 2 pictures I took off of the internet of a green sea turtle and also the cove.
Families of these wonderful green sea turtles were found in the cove.
bing-honokeana-cove-3
Honokeana Cove
Napili Beach was busy! It is such a great white sand beach.
We found our own private beach near Napili after we were done snorkeling to enjoy our picnic lunch. I got this cute picture of Savannah and Powell talking.
He built some kind of structure but then the tide came in and washed it away!
We heard about a really good place for Hawaiian Shave Ice called "The Local Boys". We drove down to Lahaina to try it.
It was the best! Ice Cream on the bottom and cream over the top.
Not cheap!
Hunter wanted to watch this man carving turtles, tiki's, swords etc. Hunter bought a sword as one of his souvenirs.
The Gazebo Restaurant is known on the island as one of the best places to eat. It is really tiny so the wait can be long. We waited 45 minutes in line just to be seated for breakfast. Luckily the food came out really fast.
Inside the restaurant is kind of funky.
BANANA MAC PANCAKES WITH COCONUT SYRUP.....need I say more?
Maui Omelet (Ham, Pineapple and Swiss Cheese)
We went to Black Rock at Ka'anapali Beach and snorkeled some more. The kids found this funny sign to put their heads through by the Sheraton Resort near the beach.
Can't keep this kid away from his guitars! He bought a ukelele and played us some tunes.

New favorite drink is POG:Passionfruit, Orange and Guava
Aloha Mixed Plate is a restaurant in Lahaina with really reasonable prices with all kinds of Hawaiian food. Savannah got the rice and meat patty topped with a fried egg and brown gravy. It was actually the best of all the food we got!
Hawaiian mixed plate with pork and cabbage, rice, macaroni salad, poi, etc.
Last night in Maui......so sad!
Decided we better go back for another shave ice since it was our last night.

2 comments:

Martha said...

I'm loving the pictures of the food. Would love to try the pancakes with coconut syrup. And the ice cream shaved ice looked incredible. Wow...making me hungry. Eating new things is such a big part of vacation for me.

Kelsi said...

I'm so sad to see the trip end. It sounded AMAZING and so fun. I loved seeing all of the pictures. Looks like you had some delicious food for sure!!

The sea turtles sounded amazing but I am still laughing about you getting out of the snorkel area that you told me on the phone.