I am surprised when I hear people say they went to Maui and didn't experience the Road to Hana. For me, it is the absolute highlight of the island. The roads are twisty with tons of bridges and it takes forever. We got car sick but it is all worth it. Because there was a lot of rain, the waterfalls were really full. We actually saw a lot more waterfalls than last time we were there, even just from the car.
 |
| We stopped in Paia town on the way to the road to Hana and even though it was 10:00 in the morning.....it's never too early for Hawaiian Shave Ice! |
 |
| Just had to stop the car and take a picture.....it is so lush and beautiful |
 |
| Had to be the tour guide. I love the "Maui Revealed Ultimate Guide Book". It tells you exactly where to stop for the dozens of hikes on the road to Hana. |
 |
| Thanks to our guidebook, we went down this road into a small town and at the end found this clearing near the ocean. We had our picnic lunch and enjoyed the views. |
 |
| Halfway to Hana there are some stands where you can buy food, snacks, jewelry etc. The stands and shacks are so crusty, I wonder if they don't have a health department that monitors things. It's amazing to see people cooking shrimp or fish tacos out of old buses or in dirty shacks. The food always looks and smells really good but I just don't know about it! We did buy this coconut bread from one of the stands and it was amazing. |
 |
| Homemade lemon bar......almost as good as moms |
 |
| Cave at the black sand beach |
 |
| I told the kids we were going to the black sand beach and they were disappointed it was more rocky than beachy. |
 |
| Seven Sacred Pools just past Hana |
 |
| North of the Seven Sacred Pools there is an incredible 4 mile hike on the Pipiwai Trail. It takes you to Waimoku Falls. The hike is beautiful with 2 bridges, a river, Banyon trees, bamboo forest etc. |
 |
| I made fun of the kids having a hard time climbing up and Powell said.....well lets see how you do. I got laughing and couldn't quite muster up the energy to climb anymore! |
 |
| Isn't the bamboo forest incredible? |
 |
The falls were so high. Last time we swam here but this time there was too much water and rocks coming down! |
 |
| Having some good laughs |
 |
| More good laughs! |
 |
| Powell loves that Charles Lindbergh (the first to cross the Alantic in a small airplane) is buried near a small Hawaiian church next to the ocean. He found out about Hana from a friend and after he was told he didn't have much longer to live, he came here to die. |
6 comments:
Aahhhh I love Shaved Ice. Love your pink swimming suit where is it from? Your posture is so purrrrrfect in that picture with all 4 of you.
I am so jealous seeing all of these picture… I love Hawaii. You are right… the road to Hana is the BEST part of Maui. So many cool things to see.
Um…. That is scary you went in that cave…. I thought the same thing about that black sand beach…. Where is the sand? Its all tiny rocks and it hurt my feet.
Jess I am shocked about the 7 sacred pools…. The water is SO full and when I went it was full of people and the water was so low. I can see why you can’t get in it anymore. Did I ever tell you that a man jumped off that bridge twice while we were there. He was nuts. Anniken wanted to do it and I got so mad at her. He could have died so easily.
Love all the pictures. Looks so fun!
It is beautiful there. Loved the waterfalls, etc. My favorite part was you trying to get over the tree just a grunting and laughing. Makes me miss Hawaii too. I love Hawaii but am always ready to come home after about a week or 10 days.
HA.... or 10 days mom. I love that you said that. So I never saw the video until now. That waterfall looks amazing. I wish we would have hiked to it.
Why 10 days? Because we left a day earlier than planned?
Wow....what a great trip. Seriously makes me want to go so bad! Love how green and beautiful, and the waterfall is amazing. Looks like such a great time with your 2 oldest. You'll never forget it I'm sure:)
P.S. You're such a nerd trying to get up that tree!
Look - what's the big deal about 10days. Had nothing to do with anyone but me. I personally don't like being away longer than about 10 days.
Post a Comment