Sunday, November 13, 2011

Fall Break in Sacramento

Powell told me he had 2 overnights in a hotel in Sacramento during the kids Fall Break. I had really been wanting to go somewhere so I asked him if we could come along. Of course he wanted me to come along without the kids but he compromised! The hotel was a really nice Embassy Suites and was across the street from "Old Town Sacramento". It is basically an old gold rush town that has been restored. Most of the buildings are original. There are now lots of fun shops in the old buildings. It isn't a huge area but was perfect for 2 days. The kids had a great time and I was just relieved to make it flying stand-by with the 4 kids by myself!
When you don't get on the first flight, you buy donuts to make up for it!
The sign outside River City Saloon. It is an old brothel which is now a restaurant/bar. We took the kids for lunch and enjoyed the 25 cent sarsaparilla.

At the mall while waiting to check in.....we had to kill time for about 7 hours. We were so tired! We saw Lion King in 3D while we were waiting and I drank a lot of Diet Coke.
Out on the street we found a jail to pose in
Doesn't he fit perfectly?
Visitor's Center.....posing in front of an original carriage.
What's a trip without ice cream?
Horse play anyone?
One of our favorite shops was Candy Heaven. There was any kind of candy you could imagine. I couldn't believe it all. There were plenty of samples to try too. The kids got a kick out of some of the old-fashioned candy.

Carriage Ride

We spent almost 2 hours in a 3 story shop called Evangelines. They had sections with themes.....like pickle stuff, bacon stuff, John Wayne stuff, Hippie stuff, Wizard of Oz stuff, etc. It was amazing. I could have spent all day there.
Look how tall the doors are! They were this tall all throughout Old Town.
Playing with a ring because the pool was  a little too cold
Enjoying his Sarsparilla
Milk Mouth
We went to a Rail Road museum the 2nd day before we went to the airport. It was well worth it. We learned all about the Transcontinental Railroad.


Picture of some of the buildings in Old Town
The Embassy Suites room came with a full breakfast.....Omelet Station was the best.
Enjoying breakfast.
The first time for the kids to have their dad actually fly them home.....priceless. We took about 5 pictures and this was the best one. Ha Ha....I kept telling Hunter to move in and look at Brin!

5 comments:

Dean and Rachel said...

I can't believe how big your family looks when your all together. Looks like SUCH a fun little trip. Loved all the pics

Question....why does it say posted by Savannah under all your posts? Does Savannah blog?

Dean and Rachel said...

P.S. I LOVE that Powell got to fly his family home. Seriously, how cool is that???

Martha said...

That certainly looked like a fun and historical place to visit. You are a trooper Jess to kill 7 hours by yourself with 4 kids. You really have perfected the travel part with 4 kids. Love all the pictures but my favorite was little "milk mouth".

Kelsi said...

Ughhh travelling alone with 4 kids STANDBYYYYYY I couldn't do it.

This trip looks really fun. That picture of you and Powell is really cute. The kids all look so grown up. I think I would have liked that old fashion candy place.

Powells head does look perfect in that jail thing. That is so cool he flew them home!

Kelsi said...

I mean, he flew all of you home ha ha.