Sunday, April 13, 2014

Palm Springs

We decided to do a quick, cheap trip for Spring Break to Palm Springs. Luckily, the flights worked out for us. We left on Monday morning and came back Thursday evening. We LOVED Palm Springs for spring break because it was hot! Sometimes we have been in St. George for Spring Break and it's not that warm but Palm Springs was definitely warm enough! It was between 95 and 99 degrees while we were there. The hotel gave us a great deal because it's a crew hotel for Skywest. It was a Renaissance by Marriott. We squished into one room which was a bit crowded but everyone was a good sport about it. We also walked everywhere to save money. The hotel shuttle was good about taking us to the store as well. I'm ready to go back!
Palm Springs is a desert area but I thought the mountains were beautiful in the background.
We were close to the main "strip" called Palm Canyon drive. There are 75 restaurants and tons of shops. There are a few statues of the stars. This was one of Lucille Ball. The kids were like "who?" 

We found this old fashioned candy shop on the main strip.
Of all things to choose, Mckenna had to have a ring pop. 
Savannah and I went for the chocolate....it was hard to decide.
Brin chose the Pez. 
We saved money by eating breakfast and lunch in the hotel room.
Most of our time was spent in the pool.

Hunter is the man of many tricks!
Here is the pool with the hotel in the background.
The front of the hotel. 
Walking to the main strip took about 10 minutes. Honestly, after about noon we had to get back to the pool.
We found these three little free museums about the Agua Caliente Indians and the old Palm Springs. 
I was telling M why we don't touch a cactus.
This was a store that showed all the things you could buy at the turn of the century. 
I love that the school desks looked like this.
More about the indians. Man I bet it was so stinking hot for them. 

Don't you ever want to go back in time to see what it was like? I love that they had these funny directors chairs and pool rafts like we have. Notice the African American man serving them.
A lot of stars came to Palm Springs. This was an ad for the musicians that performed at the "Chi Chi".


This was seriously the best shake place we have ever been. It was called "Great Shakes". Everything was homemade. They had homemade caramel sauce, homemade hot fudge, even homemade marshmallows. Powell and I had the Caramel Coffee to share. Brinley and Mckenna shared the Smore and Hunter and Savannah each had a Peanut Butter Banana with a swirl of hot fudge. They were topped with homemade whipped cream and a mini donut around the straw.
He is toasting the marshmallows in the smore shake.



Cute girls loving the pool


We found this local authentic Mexican Restaurant on Tripadvisor. It was good and cheap!

Hunter is our one who doesn't love Mexican food but he loved these nachos.

I had the carnitas and carne asada tacos. They also had brain and tongue tacos.

Probably the best part of the trip was this 25 minute walk back to our hotel as the sun was setting. The weather was perfect and the kids were all talking and laughing.


Made us wonder if we should always live in Heber or if a place with palm trees might suit us better.
This was the floor in the lobby of the hotel. It changed colors all the time. 
Savannah HATES when people chomp their food so this is what she did whenever we were eating.
Even the morning before we caught our flight the kids went swimming for an hour. 
Powell took these pictures underwater with Hunter's new Go-Pro. 


Time to say good-bye....

5 comments:

Kelsi said...

AAhhhh I think I will come to Palm Springs next time. Looks really fun and the pool looks awesome. Those underwater photos are cool. Wish I had a way to take pics underwater. Also- the homemade place looks delishhh. You look great sis - that hard work has been paying off big time.

Kelsi said...

PS Mckennas hair looks so cute on her. It does make her look a lot younger I think.

Martha said...

Palm Springs is a place I've never visited. I loved the looks of the hotel and the pool. I loved the siblings holding hands. I loved the horns that were growing out of your head Jess when you and Powell had a picture in front of the mountain goat. I had to look twice to see what was going on. Funny. What a fun trip for all of you.

Dean and Rachel said...

Jess...You look AMAZING! Also, I can't get over m's haircut. She looks so different. Looks like SUCH a fun trip! Let's plan a girls trip!!!

Heather said...

I'm adding Palm Springs to my bucket list. Looks like you all had a great time. Those shakes and the Mexican food look delish, but I can't believe brain and tongue tacos made the menu...ewwww!